Interview with Josh Kumra, the boy who beat Christina Aguilera

Josh Kumra singer Sony RCA

Josh Kumra

Josh Kumra is the British pop star who beat artists such as Christina Aguilera and Emeli Sandé by going straight to number one in the UK singles charts before even releasing a full debut album.

Born in 1991 in Swindon, Wiltshire, and grew into a self-taught guitarist and vocalist, Josh rose to fame in 2011 with Don’t go, a single recorded in collaboration with rapper Wretch 32. The song topped the music charts across the UK, and following the smashing success, young Kumra signed with Sony, and in 2013 he released his first solo debut album, Good Things Come To Those Who Don’t Wait.

His newest single titled Don’t Know Why has just been published, and, whilst we wait for his new EP, Pull Me Back In to be issued, we host him for a quick Q&A session about his life, work and the new song he has just made with his followers via Instagram live

What was your dream job as a child?

I think I’ve always wanted to be a musician, I had a guitar in my hands from the age of three, it was just a little plastic one back then… but still! I spent my childhood listening to my dad’s record collection, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton so I’m sure I wanted to be a guitar player at first, then I gradually started singing.

If you didn’t make it in the music industry, what was your plan B in terms of career?

I never really had a plan B, and throughout school and college, everything I did was to get a little bit closer to my dream of being a singer and songwriter. The only other thing that could interest me in terms of a career is being a chef. I’ve always envied people who can cook… it’s just a shame that I can’t!

What achievement are you most proud of?

My proudest achievement has to be releasing this new EP, Pull Me Back In. My experience in the music business has been full of highs and lows… just after the release of my debut album, I had a breakdown and was scared of losing all my passion for music. This is why being able to write, record and produce this new work is by far my biggest achievement.

Are there any artists you would particularly love to collaborate with?

Yes! I would love to jam with Eric Clapton, it would make my dad extremely happy and… Clapton is God. I’m also loving everything Maggie Rogers is doing at the moment and would love the chance to sing something with her. I think our voices would work really well together, and she seems like a lot of fun!

Tell us something about your new single: what should we expect?

My new single is the title track of Pull Me Back In, and it’s a very intimate, personal and honest representation of the person I used to be, the person I am now and the person I want to be in the future.

Are you recording something new, at the moment?

Yes, I’m currently working on my second full-length album. I’m not really recording anything at the moment, it’s more experimenting and finding new sounds. I’ve got it in my head that I want my next album to sound upbeat and fun so I’m playing around a little bit.

Is there anything else you’d like to say? Any new projects or plans?

I recently wrote a song with my fans and followers and with other songwriters via Instagram live, and I completely fell in love with the experience! We managed to capture some real feelings from the people who are living in isolation because of Coronavirus in different parts of the world, and it all ended up with what I think is a very beautiful song called Stay High. I should be finished with the production very soon and I really can’t wait to share what we have made with everyone!

Josh Kumra singer Sony RCA

Josh Kumra



from The Shortlisted https://ift.tt/3b6OTPk
Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments